Tuesday, July 1, 2008

New kid on the Blog

I am starting to write this blog now because I have just learnt how to and just for the love of writing. No, not to write, learnt how to set a blog up. Mind you looking at my writing one might think I have, just learnt to write. Now if I happen to entertain you along the way, then I can only apologise for that, I don’t mean to. I have come to realise how cathartic writing ones thoughts down and sharing them can be, so I decided to start a journey of public scrutiny. Maybe, hopefully I might learn something as well.

Boring! I am going to start at the beginning so bear with me. I suppose there is one blessing; I only came to the cavern in November last year.


October 2007:
Where have I been hiding all these years? It was there all this time, and I nearly missed it. I have been on the internet for some years now; I got bored waiting, due to having a 56k modem, so I didn’t do much surfing. That all changed, (that’s not the only thing that changed), when last October I bought a brand spanking new computer, not the top of the range but well worth the money. Anyways, this enabled me to get broadband. I don’t usually get lucky like this, but this just made my day. Because we had been a long standing customer and paid our bills well before they are due, our cable company gave us the top speed for a snippet of the cost, whey hey! A couple of weeks went by and while I was surfing the web, I came across a site called the DRC.

All those years and I never knew that a civilisation used to live down there, but who were they really, were they human? And to top it off I found out that there were a bunch of humans down there, from all over the world, trying to build a community. Why, what for, who would want to live down there? I asked myself these questions, but for some reason it felt like I was meant to be down there as well. But, whatever the reason I had to get some coin together so I could see for myself, as well as organising payment methods, which took a few weeks.

It was November by the time I got my first, ever, piece of plastic so I could pay for my personal linking book. Linking books, I didn’t, couldn’t and still can’t get my head around this, where did this technology come from. At the time I thought it was just part of a game and not real, but I know better now, eight months later. If you don’t know what I am talking about then you will have to find out for yourselves. I can’t tell you everything, I would be here forever. Anyway was this linking safe, I thought, let’s face it, it is all down to trust. Trust that the place you’re linking to is safe, trust in what I had read and trust in this organisation, the DRC. I supposed it was the attraction of the unknown. But not only that, it awakened the explorer in me; I had a thirst that I couldn’t quench, a thirst for knowledge. Now that I knew it was real and not just part of someones vivid imagination, I did the deal and in no time at all I was on my way. With my heart pumping I opened the book....



Pictures courtesy of Myst Online Uru Live, thank you Cyan.
All Myst, Riven, D’ni, Uru images and text © Cyan Worlds, Inc. All rights reserved.
Myst®, Riven®, D’ni®, Uru®, respective logos ® Cyan Worlds, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment