Thursday, November 13, 2008

Swamp thing:

Shamed by Erik, Tweek and Whilyam’s lack of fear I returned to investigate Fens further. Boy did I look stupid. Forever cautious is my motto perhaps too cautious. As I said I went shopping and bought the incorrect equipment. - Equipment for what? - Big honking flying, well soaring, bird like creatures high in the tree canopy. I wanted to get up high enough without disturbing them so I could study and photograph them. Everything else is pretty much low down but those up there, that’s what I love. Yes I am a bit of a bird watcher. But my camera-attachable telescope and binoculars are way too weak to get a good shot of them from the ground. I can’t afford to upgrade. – Well not after buying all that climbing equipment. – Besides bound to be more ages to explore in the future.

When I first saw the trees I thought a throw line, few ropes and a bit of tackle is all I need. Due to the trees not having any branches higher up made it more difficult than I initially thought. If I had made more of an effort first time I would have noticed that. “What do you see?” I am going to tattoo that on the inside of my eyelids. Hold on how would I see it? Have to give that some more thought.

This is going to take longer than I thought. I don’t want to use lumberjack boot spikes, they will damage the trees. I am a tree hugger by the way. Ban the chainsaw, save the trees and all that. I have an idea, how did the BBC get up in to the rain forest canopy?...

...A few days and a lot of research later I came to the conclusion that I would need bamboo poles to construct scaffolding with a platform and hide on top. I think I know a spot. From there I could observe these flying creatures with little interaction as possible. Just my being here might have altered things already. - Microbes, viruses and all that.

I did look at the possibilities of a hot air balloon for one person. I found three options one; the usual propane, two; helium and the third well solar. - Yep solar powered balloons. All three have drawbacks cost, time it takes to make and the size. So scaffold is the quickest and least destructive method with bamboo being the lightest and cheapest. I have to make a few links to get to Fens and I will need to make many trips. I can see this age is going to keep me occupied for some time. It’s about time I got started...

No comments:

Post a Comment